Skip to main content

What is this blog for?

Hello and welcome to my home-ed blog.👋

I'm Nick, and I'm a parent with littles in the CJUSD, and I want to reach out and help parents meet the new challenge of supplementing their own students' educational experience in this historic time.


I see the huge😱 number of resources we've been flooded with, and it occurs to me that it can be overwhelming for people who had no intention of home-schooling or any materials at home aside from the internet and maybe a printer.

First: yes, there's a big pile of resources available, but obviously there's not a discussion page attached to every item and it's hard to tell which ones are worth the effort of setting up.

Second: the stuff on the list is specific to what's been discussed and approved for district use, but does not go into free and open source solutions. here's a place I'll probably spend several updates discussing. There are a lot of apps that are free, useful, fun, and there are no advertisements in sight.

YouTube is our friend: but like all friends, YT has a dark and weird side that probably isn't for our kids. That being the case, I'll be curating a few channels I've followed for years, starting with specific episodes and playlists.

I'm even going to make a few videos myself.

Most importantly, though, is that I want to hear from you. What are your challenges in keeping your students engaged from home? What are your fears and concerns? It is my hope to put our heads together and solve these challenges for the benefit of all of our children.


With all of that said, thanks for your attention, and please let me know if you have any favorite sites, apps, or services that have helped you in raising and educating your kids, even if it was stuff you were using before they were school age!

--Nick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rory's Story Cubes: Language and Narrative

Before my son could read or write, he was able to make up vivid stories with his imagination thanks to these wonderful all-ages prompting devices. Honestly, I should not have to tell you about them, but since the internet and all the social media sites aren't riddled with Rory's based memes I am assuming I'm in the minority of people who've been blessed by the awesomeness that is breaking writer's block with this toy. I am no affiliate anywhere, and that's probably a shame, because here's how it works: Rory's Story Cubes  are dice. They come in a set of nine inside a convenient box that closes with magnets. On each cube are 6 glyphs, and each glyph is an easy to interpret symbol. 9 cubes x 6 glyphs = 54 in total, with a ridiculous number of possible combinations. There are multiple sets with different sets of symbols.  You'll get as much mileage out of them as your students.

Cardboard Creativity: Epic Cardboard Props

Welcome to the new world. I hope you're reducing, reusing, and recycling all that cardboard. And while you're at it, teach your kids how to make almost ANYTHING with it. One example is using templates and 3d software to make a life-size Xenomorph with just a bunch of amazon boxes and some wood glue. That's just awesome.

Time Management for Young Things

Ok, so there's a time spectrum for everything.  For tasks you want to accomplish, there is a minimum time you must meet to make progress. For diversions, distractions, and recreation, there's a maximum time after which you see a detriment to other parts of your life. To be completely honest with ourselves, there is a max time for work and minimum time for play: too much work and you're not seeing to your life, and not enough play and what is all the work for anyway? This goes double for kids. They won't stay engaged if there isn't a payoff, and they most definitely don't easily understand the notion that staring at a screen for too long for games and videos can have unintended consequences. Being told time is up is never anything but disappointing. What's working in our house is an open conversation about balance. In order to get video game time, responsibilities have to all be met. It helps to have rewards that are on more than one scale. It's hard to b...